SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pompano. Where and how? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49628)

Afishionado 11-24-2013 02:31 PM

Pompano. Where and how?

I hear there's pompano around V Bay offshore. Supposedly there's a guide out of Pecan Island that does pompano charters. I've only caught one surf fishing in Grand Isle, but I hear they eat fantastic.

Where and when do you catch them? I don't want any of your secret spots or rigs, just looking for general info like depths and what thet bite on. Thanks.

capt hoop 11-24-2013 03:09 PM

50 - 100 feet. small jigs tipped with small shrimp. School around and inside of rigs.

I do not care for the taste of them but to each their own.

eman 11-24-2013 05:06 PM

summer time fish . taste like a spanish.

silver_snipe 11-24-2013 05:24 PM

The only one I ever ate I speared in the Caribbean and it was one of the best fish I ever ate. So I am wondering is the taste different in the gulf? Capt. Hook you don't like the taste why?

Afishionado 11-24-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capt hoop (Post 645857)
50 - 100 feet. small jigs tipped with small shrimp. School around and inside of rigs.

I do not care for the taste of them but to each their own.

Hell, they get like $7 a pound for them in Florida. But then again, they eat mullet over there. I guess I ought to eat some first before I go wasting my time and money chasing them.

Sightwindow 11-24-2013 10:37 PM

They're very rich, even oily. Just very different than the mild, white flesh of a trout, red or flounder.

eman 11-25-2013 06:09 AM

Like i said. if you like Spanish mackerel , you will like pompano

Afishionado 11-25-2013 12:58 PM

Not sure if I've ever eaten Spanish either. Don't mind oily fish if it doesn't taste too fishy.

swamp snorkler 11-25-2013 01:46 PM

They sell them whole at an Nam Trahn Asian Market in Houma, $4.29 a pound. I gut them, cut the head off and grill them whole. Few pats of butter and some lemon slices on each side salt and pepper........one of my favorite fish dishes.

silver_snipe 11-25-2013 01:52 PM

I haven't ate Spanish Mackerel. the one pompano I ate was a very firm and very mild meat. Wasn't oily at all. I was a milder flavor than the gray snapper I speared in the same area. I wonder if the difference in water clarity effected the taste that much? The other thought is could I have mistaken a permit for a pompano?

Clampy 11-25-2013 04:27 PM

I've eaten a ton of pompano and never found it to be oily. Kinda taste like crab meat to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

82whaler 11-25-2013 05:45 PM

We catch them in the surf over here in FL. One of the best eating fish
in the G.O.M. in the spring. After they head west and return in the fall
not nearly as good tasting.

Afishionado 11-25-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82whaler (Post 646062)
We catch them in the surf over here in FL. One of the best eating fish
in the G.O.M. in the spring. After they head west and return in the fall
not nearly as good tasting.

Have you ever eaten mullet? If you cut open a mullet from over here, they're full of mud. Must be the muddy bottoms over here versus the sand bottoms in Florida. Could be the same thing with pompano. I know they catch them off the beach in Florida with sand fleas. Don't even know if we have sand fleas over here.

Afishionado 11-25-2013 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 646046)
I've eaten a ton of pompano and never found it to be oily. Kinda taste like crab meat to me.

Do you catch them or buy them Clampy?

Clampy 11-25-2013 10:19 PM

Little bit of both. Caught a bunch at the jetties once. Catch a few offshore occasionally.

bgizzle 11-25-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clampy (Post 646147)
Little bit of both. Caught a bunch at the jetties once. Catch a few offshore occasionally.

Don't use his tactics. Cast nets are illegal;)

"Go ahead, share your opinion! I won't cry"

82whaler 11-26-2013 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Afishionado (Post 646112)
Have you ever eaten mullet? If you cut open a mullet from over here, they're full of mud. Must be the muddy bottoms over here versus the sand bottoms in Florida. Could be the same thing with pompano. I know they catch them off the beach in Florida with sand fleas. Don't even know if we have sand fleas over here.

Hoover Bacon (Mullet) eat it all the time and it is fantastic here. Not an
acquired taste, Love it fried or smoked. You can have the fried Roe though.

Catch the Pomps on Sand Fleas caught in the surf line, fresh dead peeled
shrimp or on Bucktail Jigs.

Can't stand to eat specks over here..

Clampy 11-26-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82whaler (Post 646281)

Must be a diet thing. On the trout. They prolly eat way more shrimp in Louisiana. Just a guess.

Afishionado 11-26-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 82whaler (Post 646281)

Strange how the same species of fish can taste different by location. Has to be their diet and mud versus sandy bottoms

Garfish 11-27-2013 09:36 AM

I catch them while surf fishing in the Galveston/Surfside area usually using live shrimp or bait shrimp on the bottom. Usually catch most of them in the Spring. Caught a few on a 1/4 oz silver Mr. Champ at the Surfside jetty last summer also. Firm meat and taste good fried or blackened.