SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hardiboard vs Vinyl siding (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54307)

Jcredeur 06-18-2014 08:32 PM

Hardiboard vs Vinyl siding

Looking for advise on choosing between the two. I have little experience with either. Is the hardiboard worth the extra $8,000?

Thank y'all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pricecb 06-18-2014 08:40 PM

Siding isn't as nice and will show wear and tear over time. The colors fade and the style does change so replacing it can be hard if you get some off the wall color.
there are some products that have a foam backing or other insulators I think it's called smart siding or something like that. I have it on my office 7yrs never had to replace any and it looks good.

Hardi is expensive but will last. It's easy to find some if you do damage it. But it does need to be painted which can be good if you ever want to change the color.

fishinpox 06-18-2014 08:42 PM

Hardi!

weedeater 06-18-2014 09:16 PM

Hardi or go 100% brick with option of sacking or painting some or all the brick

Matt G 06-18-2014 09:29 PM

I'm about to pull the sheet metal off of my house and Hardi plank it. Material is way cheaper than what I expected. We did my dad's office and my brother's house and it wasn't that hard to install. The beech was all of the caulking before painting it.

Pox, would you suggest the wood textured or smooth? I like the textured, but feel it will trap dirt and need to be pressure washed more.

T-TOP 06-18-2014 10:08 PM

Getting ready to build also. Going with the hardi under back porch, and painted brick under front porch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishinpox 06-18-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt G (Post 700252)
I'm about to pull the sheet metal off of my house and Hardi plank it. Material is way cheaper than what I expected. We did my dad's office and my brother's house and it wasn't that hard to install. The beech was all of the caulking before painting it.

Pox, would you suggest the wood textured or smooth? I like the textured, but feel it will trap dirt and need to be pressure washed more.

Smooth and the 6" not the 8"
There is also a colonial dutch lap hardi which I have sections on my home of and a beaded hardi that we have used on homes before .

fishinpox 06-18-2014 10:47 PM

Make sure you flash the butt joints with 30# felt weaves over the course

I make oil 06-19-2014 01:25 AM

I went with a quality vinyl on my house only because to be honest I don't plan on staying here. If I was putting it on something I planned on living in the rest of my life I would go Hardi. When I build it will be Hardi.

swamp snorkler 06-19-2014 06:11 AM

This is another option..

http://www.lpcorp.com/smartside/

I've seen a coupl sheds and a porch redone with it and it comes out nice.

Dogface 06-19-2014 10:53 AM

Hardi.

cajunforeman 06-19-2014 01:01 PM

What do y'all suggest for the safits? You can't really see it so I was gonna go with vinyl just because of the less up keep.

redroaster 06-19-2014 01:26 PM

hardi for all

i have hardi for all,,,love it
make sure painter caulks underneath and covers nail heads with each layer of hardi while putting it up

weedeater 06-19-2014 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cajunforeman (Post 700391)
What do y'all suggest for the safits? You can't really see it so I was gonna go with vinyl just because of the less up keep.

My house is all brick with metal on face boards and bead board vinyl under eves... I also did a chocolate colored face metal and will be getting chocolate colored gutters next week

Dink 06-19-2014 01:55 PM

Hardi! I have both and the vinyl is a pain. Always molding cause I have trees. Also, don't caulk all the way to the ground. Leave the bottom 2 or 3 to breath

ski 06-19-2014 05:35 PM

Vinyl SUCKS!

Natural Light Kid 06-19-2014 07:08 PM

Hardi for everything. First little hail storm comes through you'll be glad you have it. Hail is hell on vinyl siding and aluminum fascia.

fishinpox 06-19-2014 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redroaster (Post 700404)
i have hardi for all,,,love it
make sure painter caulks underneath and covers nail heads with each layer of hardi while putting it up

I use a product called smartsoffit, Its like an osb but has a weather proof paper facing that paints awesome! Or on the super high end homes we use 3/4" thick x 6-8" wide xSpanish cedar with a continuous copper screen for ventilation