SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   General Discussion (Everything Else) (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Caught some bees need help (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60167)

FF_T_Warren 06-05-2015 04:08 PM

Caught some bees need help
 
I need help. I set a trap with some swarm lure. I caught a swarm that is setting up shop in there. How soon do I transfer them into a hive? And what time of day? Or does it matter? I caught one before and figured I better move them ASAP....well all the bees took off. And now a few weeks later I was lucky enough to catch some more. I don't want to screw up again. Any advice from anyone that has actual experience or knows someone that they can get the info from?

lil bubba 06-05-2015 04:31 PM

I am no expert by far but I used to help my father in law ...He would get the swarm when they ball up and knock them straight into the box at night and would use smoke to calm them down...I am not familliar with swarm lure but if you don't have the queen you aren't going to keep the hive...

FF_T_Warren 06-05-2015 04:44 PM

We'll I'm not sure if I have a queen as I don't know what's in the box but I do know that they've been in the trap a few days and working like crazy and at night they ball up at the entrance to block it off

chuzo 06-05-2015 06:24 PM

This is a series that could help you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkRo...090CE32602616C

FF_T_Warren 06-05-2015 06:31 PM

awesome stuff. thanks man

eman 06-05-2015 08:27 PM

Talked to my buddy in Fla. He says if there is enough stuff around for them to eat go ahead and move them to a hive. Says they wouldn't hang around that long if there was not a queen in the swarm

saute86 06-05-2015 11:37 PM

We always put the hive on a white sheet then put the swarm on the sheet next to it and they just walk into the hive. It is one of the coolest things I have ever seen. When my Father told me what he was about to do I thought he was messing with me but it worked.

fishinpox 06-06-2015 07:36 AM

My butt got lit up helping a buddy move / catch some bees a few months ago ...

FF_T_Warren 06-06-2015 08:00 AM

got em in the hive last night with a lil smoke and brushed em in. They seem to be doing good. hopefully they stay that way

duckman1911 06-06-2015 09:32 AM

Man that is awesome. Bee keeping is something that has always interested me. Good luck man.

FF_T_Warren 06-06-2015 09:55 AM

thanks. I just took a beekeeping 101 class at lsu rural life museum. I built a lil trap and hung it in a tree and voila. so far so good

Armand16 06-06-2015 11:47 AM

Make sure you have your beekeeper permit.

FF_T_Warren 06-06-2015 12:36 PM

Yea gotta fill out the form and turn it in


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted