SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Calcasieu Trip (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60275)

fit4ag 06-11-2015 07:52 AM

Calcasieu Trip

Hey Guys, I am planning my first trip to Calcasieu in my new boat during the July 4th weekend. I am not familiar with Big Lake at all. I am in hunt for the Big 3, trout, reds and flounder. Any suggestion on areas to fish, structure or dangers would be appreciated.

marty f 06-11-2015 08:31 AM

Congrats on the new boat!!

This is what I did, first thing I did was got a chart.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.CkT...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0

studied this even loaded the way points on my GPS that the chart provided. I think this is a great tool for a newbie to the lake, it even gives some good popular fishing spots. READ every post you can about the lake that relate to fishing. The fish move around a lot, you just have to take into consideration the condition that you have and make an "educated" guess. I have a few honey holes I can always catch a few, as do many of us on here, but those come with time on the lake.

If your just looking for a "one hit wonder" and don't plan to come much, Id recommend getting a guide. BUT for the July 4 weekend, im sure they are booked.

This time of year I would "suggest" for Specs drift over reefs on the south end of the lake, for Reds they should be along the shore lines, in the mornings and evening for feeding, one its heats up they will move to cooler waters. around the time frame your going the reds "might" start to school up

Get a chart, read post as well read other articles on the web about "big lake" or lake Calcasieu

HAVE FUN!!

Goooh 06-11-2015 08:54 AM

Congrats, if you're going that weekend you could probably leave the boat at home and just walk across the lake.

B-Stealth 06-11-2015 09:33 AM

10 Easy Steps to July 4th Fishing and Strategory

Step 1-Launch @ Calcasieu Point early
Step 2- Buy 2 1/2 quarts of live shrimp. 1lb dead shrimp.
Step 3-Head down ship channel to the jetties
Step 4- Find some guide boats catching fish.
Step 5- Idle into guides boat area, gotta get kinda close.
Step 6- Ask him if he's doing any good, and what they "hittin" on.
Step 7- Start to untangle the anchor rope.
Step 8- Drift uncomfortably close to guide boat while messing with anchor.
Step 9- Wave at guide and customers or shake their hand.
Step 10- Because you drifted closer than you wanted to guide boat, you will now perform the Olympic Anchor Toss, throwing anchor far as humanly possible away from boat.

I would look for a black Yellowfin, I heard he's always catching and likes the company.

meaux fishing 06-11-2015 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Stealth (Post 758652)
Step 1-Launch @ Calcasieu Point early

Step 2- Buy 2 1/2 quarts of live shrimp. 1lb dead shrimp.

Step 3-Head down ship channel to the jetties

Step 4- Find some guide boats catching fish.

Step 5- Idle into guides boat area, gotta get kinda close.

Step 6- Ask him if he's doing any good, and what they "hittin" on.

Step 7- Start to untangle the anchor rope.

Step 8- Drift uncomfortably close to guide boat while messing with anchor.

Step 9- Wave at guide and customers or shake their hand.

Step 10- Because you drifted closer than you wanted to guide boat, you will now perform the Olympic Anchor Toss, throwing anchor far as humanly possible away from boat.

I would look for a black Yellowfin, I heard he's always catching and likes the company.

Lol

fit4ag 06-11-2015 10:31 AM

Too Funny. I don't think I want to fish with a guide...THAT BAD!!

Thanks Guys

"W" 06-11-2015 10:36 AM

If it's calm

You can catch 3 trout on most reefs with live shrimp
Find some cuts off of bank and can catch 3 flounder
And take pop n cork with shrimp and fish rocks on ship channel till U catch 3 reds
It's possible but that will be a very busy weekend not only with 10,000 boats you will have jet skis , race boats , party barges and what every else got pulled out of the tall grass

Or go offshore and catch em all but flounder

ratherbefishing186 06-11-2015 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 758647)
Congrats, if you're going that weekend you could probably leave the boat at home and just walk across the lake.

LMAO!

Good luck! I'll be chilling and grilling pool side that weekend.:cheers:

marty f 06-11-2015 12:34 PM

here give this a shot

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...4-3sKfjM&hl=en

jl8200 06-11-2015 09:55 PM

Just because you plan ahead doesn't mean youll be able to fish where you planned. The lake is busy most of the time. I find most of the time my pre planned spot is taken by at least one boat. I fished today and was surprised to see the amount of boats on the water.

marty f 06-12-2015 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl8200 (Post 758751)
Just because you plan ahead doesn't mean youll be able to fish where you planned. The lake is busy most of the time. I find most of the time my pre planned spot is taken by at least one boat. I fished today and was surprised to see the amount of boats on the water.

Yep, its getting crowded

fit4ag 06-12-2015 07:37 AM

Thanks Guys. I think everyone is geeking right now due to the weather we have had this year. It has been INSANE. Between cold, wind and rain, our opportunities have been limited. I will be there and I will be just as excited to see you guys on the water as well. If fishing wasn't such a great sport, we wouldn't go broke buying boats, rods, reels and enough lures that we can stock an Academy. That's why it is called fishing and not catching. Tight Lines my brothers and be safe on the water.

nozediver 06-12-2015 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marty f (Post 758641)
Congrats on the new boat!!

This is what I did, first thing I did was got a chart.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=JN.CkT...d=1.9&rs=0&p=0

studied this even loaded the way points on my GPS that the chart provided. I think this is a great tool for a newbie to the lake, it even gives some good popular fishing spots. READ every post you can about the lake that relate to fishing. The fish move around a lot, you just have to take into consideration the condition that you have and make an "educated" guess. I have a few honey holes I can always catch a few, as do many of us on here, but those come with time on the lake.

If your just looking for a "one hit wonder" and don't plan to come much, Id recommend getting a guide. BUT for the July 4 weekend, im sure they are booked.

This time of year I would "suggest" for Specs drift over reefs on the south end of the lake, for Reds they should be along the shore lines, in the mornings and evening for feeding, one its heats up they will move to cooler waters. around the time frame your going the reds "might" start to school up

Get a chart, read post as well read other articles on the web about "big lake" or lake Calcasieu

HAVE FUN!!

Where can I buy the chart at?

alphaman 06-12-2015 10:51 AM

Academy

seachaser250 06-12-2015 10:56 AM

that chart will come in handy tomorrow and sunday with all the good weather lined up!! It's always lines up perfect when i have to chance to go.......:shaking:

Gerald 06-12-2015 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alphaman (Post 758812)
Academy

Some Walmart stores will have the map also.

jl8200 06-13-2015 08:22 PM

I couldn't find a Hook N Line map at Academy in Lake Charles when I looked. I ordered one on Amazon.com.

Gerald 06-13-2015 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jl8200 (Post 759000)
I couldn't find a Hook N Line map at Academy in Lake Charles when I looked. I ordered one on Amazon.com.

Store inventory might be getting low..............

They moving to the new store middle of next month.

TidewateR 06-14-2015 04:41 AM

screw trout and the crowds that come along with them...fish the marsh and you'll have the place to yourself in the some of the richest redfishing water in the world...might even snag a flounder or three

Trout rivers 06-14-2015 05:26 AM

There is a whole stack at cal. Point