SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Manual filet knife? (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60314)

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 11:43 AM

Manual filet knife?

Looking to get a good, 9", manual filet knife. Heard the bubba blades aren't what the commercials make them out to be. Heard Rapala makes a good one. Want to stay under $30. Any suggestions? Thanks

Jman121799 06-13-2015 12:01 PM

I love my bubba blade, dont know what ya heard bad ab them, but mine does just fine. Only really use it on redfish

Bluechip 06-13-2015 12:03 PM

I've had a Rapala for years and it always gets the job done. But I spend the time and keep a nice sharp edge on it also.

I think most any knife will do a good job if you keep the blade sharp.

I've seen people complain about their electric knife only to find out the blades are 5 years old and have never been sharpened.

Good luck in your search...

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluechip (Post 758937)
I've had a Rapala for years and it always gets the job done. But I spend the time and keep a nice sharp edge on it also.

I think most any knife will do a good job if you keep the blade sharp.

I've seen people complain about their electric knife only to find out the blades are 5 years old and have never been sharpened.

Good luck in your search...

Agree. Only thing is some blades take and hold a sharpening better than others.

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jman121799 (Post 758936)
I love my bubba blade, dont know what ya heard bad ab them, but mine does just fine. Only really use it on redfish

I hear you. Honestly I don't think the guy wanted to like the bubba blade. Just one of those kind of guys. Which one do you have?

Bluechip 06-13-2015 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 758938)
Agree. Only thing is some blades take and hold a sharpening better than others.

Yes...I totally agree. My son bought me a blue handle filet knife that I use a lot too. I will have to see what brand it is. It holds a nice edge.

Bluechip 06-13-2015 12:14 PM

The blue handle knife is a Kershaw. I also have a Kommer "Big Eddy"... Use these two filet knives to de-bone deer meat and hogs.

They are all affordable and hold a good edge.

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 12:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Was looking at this one. Looks like a poor mans bubba blade (low $20's). It's a mustard with Teflon coated blades.

Bluechip 06-13-2015 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid (Post 758943)
Was looking at this one. Looks like a poor mans bubba blade (low $20's). It's a mustard with Teflon coated blades.

Looks like a nice knife. I have never used a knife with Teflon coated blades.....but I would try it.

redaddiction 06-13-2015 12:31 PM

I still just use those old school rapala knives with the wooden handle and leather sheath.

rustyb 06-13-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redaddiction (Post 758947)
I still just use those old school rapala knives with the wooden handle and leather sheath.

Hard to beat those! Still have one that is OLD! 2 passes on an accusharp and good to go.

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyb (Post 758950)
Hard to beat those! Still have one that is OLD! 2 passes on an accusharp and good to go.

Those accusharps really work? Which one do you have?

Mako19 06-13-2015 01:17 PM

I really have been impressed with my Bubba Blade.
it carved up those ling and snapper two weeks ago with ease.

As others have stated, I put a fresh edge on it before each use and when cleaning larger fish like snapper or redfish I may even take a break mid-way through to drink a cold pop and pass it through the sharpener.

rustyb 06-13-2015 01:18 PM

After I learned how to use it. Its all I use. I have every sharpener made. Accusharp keeps all my knives sharp. The guy who cleans those reds at coco marina showed me how to use it. and thats all he uses. I even bought one of those work sharp belt sanders. Ill sell it for cheap.

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mako19 (Post 758958)
I really have been impressed with my Bubba Blade.
it carved up those ling and snapper two weeks ago with ease.

As others have stated, I put a fresh edge on it before each use and when cleaning larger fish like snapper or redfish I may even take a break mid-way through to drink a cold pop and pass it through the sharpener.

Which bubba blade and which sharpener?

redaddiction 06-13-2015 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyb (Post 758950)

Yeah that sucker is razor sharp out of the pack. And it sharpens up easily after use.

Andy C 06-13-2015 05:18 PM

Them work smarts, are bad to the bone, most knives have a little different angle then there guides. But take your time and do it right knife is good for 3 hogs and two deer!! Just got to learn how to use it. Auccua sharp is what we use cutting net rap off hay, good for 6-8 bails and run it back thro and good to go again. Edge just don't last.

Natural Light Kid 06-13-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy C (Post 758983)
Them work smarts, are bad to the bone, most knives have a little different angle then there guides. But take your time and do it right knife is good for 3 hogs and two deer!! Just got to learn how to use it. Auccua sharp is what we use cutting net rap off hay, good for 6-8 bails and run it back thro and good to go again. Edge just don't last.

Work smart or work sharp?

PathfinderNI 06-13-2015 07:08 PM

Have heard

good things about Dexter knives....haven't used them myself though.

meaux fishing 06-13-2015 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PathfinderNI (Post 758991)
good things about Dexter knives....haven't used them myself though.

I've got a few dexters. They are really good knives