SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Grand Isle slam. (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64275)

Visco 05-22-2016 05:05 PM

Grand Isle slam.
 
1 Attachment(s)
What a day... I could not sleep so I decided to leave the house at 0300 and had the boat in the water by 0400. I eased out the bayou and hit the bay heading for the beach. I decided to stop and try out one of the camps in route and what a decision that turned out to be... It was about 0500 when I stopped and no wind slick calm... I turned the motor off and what I heard I could not believe my ears. You know the sound the big trout make when they're sucking shrimp off the top of the water? Yeap... I could hear them all around me, but it was dark and could not see. First cast... 20" trout, every cast after that I was hooked up. Lost some very nice trout at the boat. Had my limit before 0630 and before the first boat ever arrived.

I ended the day with my limit... And tagged just as many.

While cleaning the trout every fish had a shrimp inside it that would have weighed somewhere in the neighborhood of 25 or 30 per pound.



Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

simplepeddler 05-22-2016 05:32 PM

Nice day!!

FF_T_Warren 05-22-2016 05:34 PM

My friend was down there and caught about half a box of big shrimp like that. Along with some nice fish as well. Great job y'all lucky dogs

LPfishnTIM 05-22-2016 05:35 PM

Nice! I went last friday didn't do so good, haven't been on SC for a while, nice to see a GI report!

FF_T_Warren 05-22-2016 07:06 PM

Yea I had another friend go last wknd and they couldn't buy a fish

sacalaitman 05-22-2016 07:34 PM

Was out there last Wednesday couldn't find the fish. Beach was very dirty. Glad you did well. Great catch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yigodiver 05-22-2016 07:35 PM

Nice trip sound like a lot of fun, keep on em!

bobo23 05-22-2016 08:32 PM

Ballsy move. Paid off Bigtime. Nice!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I make oil 05-22-2016 10:30 PM

Nice trip.

Visco 05-23-2016 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobo23 (Post 795882)
Ballsy move. Paid off Bigtime. Nice!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know right... I have no idea what came over me. I just could not sleep and had this gut feeling that it was time to go.

Oh yea, I put in at Port Sulphur.

Thanks

Visco 05-23-2016 05:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF_T_Warren (Post 795871)
Yea I had another friend go last wknd and they couldn't buy a fish

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacalaitman (Post 795873)
Was out there last Wednesday couldn't find the fish. Beach was very dirty. Glad you did well. Great catch


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can understand that... the bite started to slow down about the time all the boats started to show up. I was pulling in fish every cast, and a couple of older guys pulled up in a Blazer Bay, I told the guys that i would move out the way hoping they would continue to catch... nothing, they hung out for about an hour and they only caught about 5 fish.

I was using my grandpa's rig and as usual it worked very well... I noticed that everyone else was throwing live shrimp or croackers on a Carolina rig. I believe that was the issue, as I rarely use live anything.

swampboy 05-23-2016 08:46 AM

[QUOTE=Visco;795898]I can understand that... the bite started to slow down about the time all the boats started to show up. I was pulling in fish every cast, and a couple of older guys pulled up in a Blazer Bay, I told the guys that i would move out the way hoping they would continue to catch... nothing, they hung out for about an hour and they only caught about 5 fish.

I was using my grandpa's rig and as usual it worked very well... I noticed that everyone else was throwing live shrimp or croackers on a Carolina rig. I believe that was the issue, as I rarely use live anything.[/


What was your choice of bait

sacalaitman 05-23-2016 10:27 AM

I didn't fish on the beach long. Visibility was only about 4". I never throw live bait on the beach unless I am in my boat. It's too much of a hassle.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Visco 05-23-2016 05:22 PM

[quote=swampboy;795912]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Visco (Post 795898)
I can understand that... the bite started to slow down about the time all the boats started to show up. I was pulling in fish every cast, and a couple of older guys pulled up in a Blazer Bay, I told the guys that i would move out the way hoping they would continue to catch... nothing, they hung out for about an hour and they only caught about 5 fish.

I was using my grandpa's rig and as usual it worked very well... I noticed that everyone else was throwing live shrimp or croackers on a Carolina rig. I believe that was the issue, as I rarely use live anything.[/


What was your choice of bait

I was using a shedog with a 1/8oz big head. Matrix shrimp Creole was the color of the plastic I had on the jig head.

Back in the day before mirror lures came out with she dogs, we used one of their top water plugs.

This method has been used for at least 7 decades in my family. We do not use popping corks at all.


Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

sacalaitman 05-23-2016 07:31 PM

Great way to fish them


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted