SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Dolphin Questions (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65046)

big nd fan 07-29-2016 12:36 PM

Dolphin Questions

I know no one here is a marine biologist but from your experiences, when you see a dolphin in the area does that mean there are trout around? If so, do they scare them away?

Just wondering.

Duck Butter 07-29-2016 12:41 PM

They will eat trout reds and flounder among many other things. Several times I have had trout biting in the surf and when dolphins show up the bite dies

Pull n Pray 07-29-2016 12:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm no biologist, but if I were a spec or red I would haul *** if a dolphin was around.

bobo23 07-29-2016 12:44 PM

Had porpoises around me last weekend, while catching trout. Bite never slowed when they came around. Just one instance but, that's what it was.

Ahab 07-29-2016 01:03 PM

Just depends. I had 3 pods of porpoises swim through on me last week. Bite shut down only for about 30 minutes

Lake Chuck Duck 07-29-2016 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pull n Pray (Post 802572)
I'm no biologist, but if I were a spec or red I would haul *** if a dolphin was around.

Remember when we were fishing the surf in grand isle catching trout and they were swimming all around us? We were def still catchin some.

Let um land 07-29-2016 02:33 PM

Porpose

They will take a snapper off your line and then go back and forth throwing it in the air just to show off, they are a pain in the butt for any fishing trip.

Speck Attack 07-29-2016 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duck Butter (Post 802571)
They will eat trout reds and flounder among many other things. Several times I have had trout biting in the surf and when dolphins show up the bite dies

My experience also...Dolphins show up the bite dies...:cry:

Duck Butter 07-29-2016 03:11 PM

Cool video on dolphins herding redfish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV7qraoAJYk

Duck Butter 07-29-2016 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Speck Attack (Post 802586)
My experience also...Dolphins show up the bite dies...:cry:

Yeah and its kinda eery when they get up close to you in the surf. That fin shows up outta nowhere:eek:

Marque 07-30-2016 03:04 AM

I was on some trout under birds once in the middle of SW Pass and was reeling in a fish when all of a sudden it looked like a bomb when off in the front of my boat. I thought I had drifted into a reef or something but damn porpoise was chasing my fish and swam smack into my trolling motor. Flipper ended up cracking the shaft. Greedy ba$tard.

Sightwindow 07-30-2016 11:29 PM

I've had the bite die when dolphins are around and have kept right on catching at other times.

BTW, it's all dolphins around Louisiana. There are no porpoises here.

BeastMan 07-31-2016 03:31 PM

They've ruined a good trout bite numerous times in my experiences. I've heard if you bang some metal pliers and a metal anchor under the water, the Dolphins will haul *** and you'll still catch trout. But be warned, dolphins are a protected species and that might be illegal so don't do it.

Goooh 07-31-2016 08:06 PM

Stick your rod tip in the water and thrash it around and they'll go away, allegedly

swd814 08-01-2016 08:27 AM

There's a bunch of smart ones around Grand Isle. They hang out at a few platforms in the bay and wait for fisherman to show up. They watch until you hook a trout then steal it off your hook. In the surf I've been catching trout with dolphins circling me within a rod length. Kinda scary in waist deep water to have a 8foot dolphin sneak up behind you and blow.

seatrout 08-01-2016 02:43 PM

i believe they kill the trout bite....

eman 08-01-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swd814 (Post 802797)
There's a bunch of smart ones around Grand Isle. They hang out at a few platforms in the bay and wait for fisherman to show up. They watch until you hook a trout then steal it off your hook. In the surf I've been catching trout with dolphins circling me within a rod length. Kinda scary in waist deep water to have a 8foot dolphin sneak up behind you and blow.

we have had the damn things sit and wait for us to set the hook an then they take the fish,

meaux fishing 08-02-2016 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goooh (Post 802754)
Stick your rod tip in the water and thrash it around and they'll go away, allegedly

I've done that in grand isle. They won't leave, but it confuses them to where they won't steal the fish off your line.