SaltyCajun.com

SaltyCajun.com (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/index.php)
-   Freshwater Fishing Discussion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Need an opinion (http://www.saltycajun.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7773)

swole_la34 02-16-2010 10:19 AM

Need an opinion

Don't really do alot of fishing but get more and more into it every year..Whats the best rod and reel to buy for the right price??

simplepeddler 02-16-2010 10:34 AM

oh Lordy..................here we go. LOL

my vote is for the Battle ship Calcutta on an All Star rod.
But many will disagree with me, ...............like any minute now

huntin fool 02-16-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swole_la34 (Post 115084)
Don't really do alot of fishing but get more and more into it every year..Whats the best rod and reel to buy for the right price??

I like My shimano citica (100 ish?)/st.croix Mojo bass 7ft medium rod-90.

OR Academy sells Americain Rod smiths, and Castaways that sell for around $60 a rod. Pair that up with a citica, and you good to go!

If you want to spend more $$$ on the reel, Curado would be your next best i'm sure.

Dink 02-16-2010 10:42 AM

Spinning or baitcast? Budget?

CatDaddy 02-16-2010 09:16 PM

Its whats comfortable for you man... Fish with what feel sright in your hands.... Leave your wife at home, and spend about 4 hours in an academy, Bass Pro, or Cabelas just playing with rods.... (Spend alot of time with the Falcon Low Rider XG).. when you get a rod that feels good in ya hand, kind of like a Falcon Lowrider XG 7' Medium Heavy would feel.... and get a Shimano 200-E7 from "W".. Then you will have you a really good setup.... I promise

Salty 02-17-2010 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatDaddy (Post 115311)
Its whats comfortable for you man... Fish with what feel sright in your hands.... Leave your wife at home, and spend about 4 hours in an academy, Bass Pro, or Cabelas just playing with rods.... (Spend alot of time with the Falcon Low Rider XG).. when you get a rod that feels good in ya hand, kind of like a Falcon Lowrider XG 7' Medium Heavy would feel.... and get a Shimano 200-E7 from "W".. Then you will have you a really good setup.... I promise

W doesn't do Curados, anymore...........he's hung on Cores now.

LaAngler 02-17-2010 09:05 PM

buy whatever you like just make sure you get a shimano reel citica or better

PUREBAY2200 02-17-2010 09:22 PM

Re

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dink (Post 115094)
Spinning or baitcast? Budget?

Yea I agree.
Kinda like askin what kinda car to get or how big of a house.

1. Budget
2. What kinda fish
3. Style ( baitcast or spinning)
4. How often will u go

answer these then u can go pick out Ur set up:)

adamsfence 02-17-2010 09:26 PM

i always get the combos from academy for less than a 100. you can pick up some decent ones for 50-70 bucks. I don't get to fish as much as most of these guys so i can't justify the higher end ones. I bought one last year with a all star rod i love that rod. it has an h20 reel on it. so far so good

CatDaddy 02-18-2010 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamsfence (Post 115798)
i always get the combos from academy for less than a 100. you can pick up some decent ones for 50-70 bucks. I don't get to fish as much as most of these guys so i can't justify the higher end ones. I bought one last year with a all star rod i love that rod. it has an h20 reel on it. so far so good

H2O reels are badazz

shellman 02-18-2010 01:20 PM

Once you decide you like fishing check out "Billystix Custom Rods"...

Feesherman 02-18-2010 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatDaddy (Post 115950)
H2O reels are badazz

Yeah I got one for my girlfriend as a birfday present. It lasted about 2 trips fore it fell apart. Took it back and got her a Citica.

LPfishnTIM 03-07-2010 03:23 PM

I like falcon low rider, med action fast for spinner bait, med heavy fast for worming, as far a reels I like the revo sx, but the citica is a great reel too I've bought too many reels under $100 and have returned all of em except the ambassador c3 and c4 which aren't a great reels but they last a life time

CatDaddy 03-07-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feesherman (Post 116051)
Yeah I got one for my girlfriend as a birfday present. It lasted about 2 trips fore it fell apart. Took it back and got her a Citica.

Damn.... I got 2 and love them.... Did you have the Mettle?

Gerald 03-08-2010 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swole_la34 (Post 115084)

For someone that only fishes a few times a year, there are lots of "cheap" rods that will last you many fishing trips. I have one "cheap" rod that just felt as good in my hand as the $ 80 rods so I bought it for $ 20. I have been using that rod for saltwater fishing for 5+ years and it is still in good shape.

If you fish saltwater, most of low end reels [under $ 50] probably will not hold up for more than a year....maybe longer if you take good care of it.

Academy has been sell h2s equipment for a couple of years now. The h2s Mettle reel has impressed some [very smooth and cast well] that have bought it.....[I don't have this reel]. The reviews are good for freshwater....but not much talk as to how they hold up in saltwarer use. This reel sells for ~ $ 69 but does go on sale for much lower. I think I saw it for $ 40 a few weeks ago.

SULPHITE 03-08-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

h2s
Hydrogen Sulfide??? LOL!! H2O...Academy selling area monitors now?

Heard good and bad about the H2O, but if you don't fish much it would be worth it.