View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 11:16 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly D View Post
I got a question for ya. How many of ya fished the lake years ago when netting was legal. Not to many of ya probably. Fishing back then was tuff and limits was hard to come by and especialy a big girl. You had 500 hundred shrimpboats in the lake and didnt care if you was catching or not. The lake has come along ways in a few years
I did, that's why I started fishing offshore. You could catch lots of fish, they were just small. Before the weirs, there was no problems catching big fish and lots of fish. When they installed them, the shrimp and fish went to crap. That's when the shrimpers went to gill netting. They were not making anymore money shrimping and couldn't afford bigger boats to go offshore. Gill netting was very easy and you made lots of money.
Before the weirs, the Texas boats would come over there to shrimp in the lake on opening weekend cause their season opened on a different day.
Both sides of the lake was always full of boats shrimping.
The lake was deeper then and the old jetties stuck up out of the water a lot higher. Jr's cut was just big enough for 1 butterfly barge, now it is big enough for a ship to go thru.