View Single Post
Old 02-24-2010, 03:51 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,580

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
Not near as much as when I was a young man. The things I see the weirs helped out are crabs and Flounder. They killed the shrimp population back there. If you think there are a lot of shrimp in there, you should have seen it before the weirs and the first couple years after. I can hook you up with a couple fellers who used to shrimp the private marshes. They will tell you what it did.
And after Rita, when the levees were blasted open, there were suddenly a buttload of shrimp back there again. Fix the levees and the shrimp fall off again.
Everything eats shrimp. More shrimp, more healthy fisheries.
There should be a better way to fix the marshes than to block them off.

Flounder and Reds are always pretty good back up in there.
Yeah that was some good fishing...trout were were in there thick...

do we let the marsh erode or do we protect the fish? Do we protect people, property, roads or the fish.

We have chosen to change mother nature with the ship channel...but regardless marshes etc will change over hundreds of years without human interaction.
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .