Thread: Browning rifles
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 653

Quote:
I find that very hard to believe
I get this alot. Its a fairly common practice. You dont have to pay 4k to get that MOA at 500 meters. Although it helps the mid level shooter to achieve this, its not necessary. I shot long guns for a living. A little work on a rifle, 500 bucks or so, consistent hand loads, breath control and trigger discipline, and of course, elevation, temperature, wind direction, go along way. Each shot let your barrel cool for a few minutes, use a bi-pod or bench rest, a little dope on your scope and there you have it. Usually before I've fired 20 rounds I can get this grouping. Not everyone can do it. Your right, your average white tail rifle factory trimmed doesnt stand a chance in hell, but with the above factors in play its absolutely possible and happens regularly.
Heres my set up:
I tuned my barrel which involves trying varying amounts of pressure against it at different points. Aka, shimming. I had it bluprinted, making all the parts that make up the action square and true to the bore. Had the trigger lightened up. You can get a factory Browning down to 18 ounces safley. A little experimenting with rounds and grains that work best. That's about it. It's not impossible.

Quote:
Most sniper rifles wont hold that unless they've got that same work done to them and usually more
Milatary grade sniper rifles have a little more work done to them. All of the above plus cryo treatments to the barrels and hand lapping them also. A good sniper can make shot groups at 1150 meters that can be covered with your hand. Ive seen this first hand.