Thread: AJ off Kona
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763
Default AJ off Kona

Nailed this 70+lb AJ off the Kona Coast right outside the harbor on light tackle. Soreness: Forearms..Check Wrist...Check Pubis...Check

We caught several Opelu and decided to use them for bait. The current was ripping like someone pulled the plug on the Pacific...which made conditions tough. We had 2 wahoo blow ups but no hooksets.....lost a bull dolphin about 20 yards from the boat...got broke off by lord knows what...and ended the day w/ this AJ. Right now is a transitioning period...and somehow...my 2nd day was filled w/ unheard of currents...causing fishing to be super slow and tough... Ended up not getting any strikes on the 2nd marlin troll and nothing at all on Tuna. Everything should will pick up w/in the next month. Come May I will be putting fish to sleep. I've got an overnighter coming up next month to South Point and think its gonna be one hell of a trip. i hope to get out again w/in the next 2 weeks so i'll continue to post pics from trips. I'm also looking into skin diving/spear fishing. The locals here free dive and spear fish down to 130ft. IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0783.jpg

IMG_0798.jpg
See how close the land is...well it's 60 fathoms here.
IMG_0811.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0816.jpg