View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Redfish

Cash: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opinions_Vary View Post
Caution!!! If you are traveling through Bird Island Bayou there is plenty of dept the first few miles however there are some spots if you are traveling all of the way throught the island where it gets really shallow. I have been fishing the island in and out for the last 5 years and I still don't know 20% of it. Good advice is to explore when the tide is high (when the water is in the Marsh Grass) if you see the roots of the marsh grass be careful because the tide may be too low. Like they said make sure you have a depth finder. P.S. you can catch a lot of fish fishing the Marsh and the points on the outside of the island and there is less chance of getting stuck.

Opinions has a very good point. I have to tell ya, I've got a 20' xpress with a 98"beam so I don't draft much water, so if you draft much more than 12" you might want to take your time and explore on high tide.

(Needed to vent)
Oh, and if anyone is running through Marsh Island....please be respectful of others. I ALWAYS come off step when I meet someone on the bayou. I watch a family of 4 almost get thrown out of their boat by some A$$hole that didn't even let up. Bird Island Bayou is 75 yds wide on average....Use your head!!!