View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,074

It took 6 Cajuns, 2 Cajun women, 3 boats, 5 hand winches, 2 tow straps, ?? chain & rope, ?? beer & soda, 3 full days to float the HB.

It was, (my point of view), a "cave man salvage". They attempted to pull/push it to shore after attempts to "lift" it failed. It drug about 6' along the bottom, until stumps & logs stopped it. Then , the HB was pushed sideways until closer to a tree. No straps were "passed under the hull. Cleats & eye pads were hooked to & pulled on.

There were 3 "workers" AND, 3 "egos". At one point, all progress halted until the "Egos" fought over whose idea was best.

On the 3rd. day, after all attempts to raise the boat failed, they just hooked a come-a-long to just 1 aft corner & twisted it UP, 2' and 3 pumps were started.

I assisted, by showing where the thru hulls were located. A fellow dove down & plugged each with toilet wax ring wax, (my suggestion).

By God...., after 4 hours, the pumps finally outrun the water leaking in. The boat began to rise, the beer flowed & 2 of the "Egos" went home.

Early the 4th. morning they pulled the HB 6 miles to a spot on the levee, where access by car is possible. No one was around today, as I took pictures. I really don't know the exact reason it sank. Maybe in a day or two, I can learn more. NOW, the fun begins. The man has many fronts to attack at once.

Last edited by BananaTom; 04-20-2010 at 04:48 PM.