View Single Post
Old 05-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,040

I 2nd Galveston Island for things to do rather than just fishing.

If you want to fish G'ton, the surf ought to be on if the conditions are calm. Any of the small jetty structures on the Seawall called "rock groins" are good or go furthur west toward the State Park or San Luis Pass or go east and cross the ferry to Bolivar Peninsula for less crowded wade/surf fishing. No fishing license needed if you fish the State Park grounds and pay the small fee. Bay fishing spots are more frequent toward the west side of G'ton. Sportsman Road, bay side of San Luis Pass and behind the State Park have some wading access. Look for White flags at Bait shops for live shrimp and Yellow flags for live croakers. Not much different fishing the surf in Galveston than in Grand Isle. Use the same techniques and bait/lures.

My brother has a beach house in Grand isle rented out for the same week. I told him if he cancels, to bring his family over here. Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens, The Duck Boat, shopping on The Strand or a fishing trip on a head boat are all good activities to keep the kids occupied. There are several chain hotels. Just do a search and you should come up with some options. San Luis, Hotel Galvez, and Hilton are the higher end options that I have stayed at and are really nice.

I also have a trip scheduled to Grand Isle in July for about 5 days doing an offshore charter and some surf/inshore fishing and it's not looking good if things are status quo w/ the oil slick. I'm keeping my fingers croseed that can get it stopped and contained so it doesn' t come even further west.