View Single Post
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

News around the industry this morning is that these guys did not report the release and thus were in violation. Now, we can only speculate why that is, but I can assume someone screwed up and did not think the release was that bad, or the release was subsea and they did not realize that the well bore was breached until the oil surfaced a few miles away. However, I would venture to say that they became aware of the release on the surface before the LDWF made a visit to them, maybe they were making plans on how to mitigate or reprot it, since it was already making landfall in Grand Isle. Who knows? I can tell you that their is "rumor" of possible arrest warrants for PIC on the P&A job on location that is responsible for reporting and managing the site. This will not be pretty for him or the company he works for!!!!!!!!

On another note, this spill can not be compared to the BP spill for many reasons, mostly the fact that it is no longer releasing hydrocarbons, and the well is in the process of P&A operations. Yes, they will have cleanup, but it will be fairly easy since it closer to the beach, and we have rough/south winds. This oil will emulsify and from what I was told this morning, the majority of the visible sheen was "light rainbow". Anyone with any history of working around hydrocarbons and water knows that only a small amount will make a huge "rainbow" sheen. Several pilots reported only an hour ago that it is all but gone and the "sheen" is apparently very light, similar to a diesel sheen. That is great news and looks like this one will be wrapped up quickly.