View Single Post
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsidelandry View Post
Thursday night was the first time I've ever cooked tuna steak but all I did was sear it in a black iron skillet with butter and lemon pepper and it came out awesome. I ended up with 17 quart bags with 4 steaks a piece! I also have a gallon bag of chunks that were too small to make steaks with so tomorrow I'm gonna separate that into quart bags also and use that to make some tuna salad with.
Way to go Mr. Landry!!!! Sounds like you are hooked!

Just FYI, not sure how often you will be eating tuna, but this may help on your next trip. Their meat is incredible, but to me it seems it does not have the shelf life in the freezer as do some of the other things we catch. I can keep specks/reds/flounder for quite a while w/o noticing any funny "fishy" taste. Tuna seems to develope that funny taste faster. I met an old Asian fish buyer about 12 years ago and he showed my how to pack tuna to make it taste like it was right out the water, even though it was in the freezer for 8 months!

Leave the hide on the fish and freeze it in as large a section as you can. Before placing your "chunk" of tuna in a vacumn seal bag, wrap a paper towel around it. Once defrosted in water on the day you are to cook it, remove the skin from the outside of the fish, then shave a thin layer away to the other sides of it. The tuna flesh is protected from decomp by the skin and towel. Works like a charm and our cerviche and sashimi is just like it is on the boat! Hope that helps and didn't mean to hy-jack your thread!