View Single Post
Old 06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,217

I know several guides on the lake, the ones that I know are some of the hardest working people I have encountered. I have spoken with a few on this issue and they believed that reducing the creel would allow the fishery to be healthier and last longer given that there are more boats on the water now than ever. Isn't the greed of the oyster fishermen (taking everything now and not saving it for later) and their inability to see the big picture what had everyone so outraged on here in the winter? Doesn’t that make us allot like them?

The creel change pre-dates me, I still had a camp in Grand Isle and fished that area so I really have no opinion either way on this other than to say that if catching 15 fish and not 25 will give my grandchildren a greater chance to experience what I believe is the one of the greatest outdoor cultures in our country then I'm all for it. If it is true that the reduction in creel had no impact on the fishery other than to reduce trophy trout then even the best of intentions sometimes backfires.

I will say this, the number of lazy guides on our lake are few and far between. Some may be jerks to deal with but these guys work hard for their money and most love this estuary as much as you and I.

Just a different perspective on my end....