View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 10:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 846
Headknocker A few mishaps

Where to begin: 10 or so YRs ago..
A buddy had gone out a few miles in the Gulf in a 15' joe boat and reported Bull reds everycast. I "figured" my brother's somewhat beat up 18' pro craft bass boat would do just fine. So I and another friend loaded it up and headed out to Fouchon to meet my buddy. As we arrived at the Launch, my buddy in the 15' joe boat had mentioned he was already out and on them again. I said we are on the way. My friend and I launched and made way.

Part 1: As we are heading out, I see my buddy in the 15' joe being toed in. His boat had flipped and a crew boat had to rescue them. I offer to take over the tow and pulled them pack to the launch. My buddy claimed it was just a rogue wave that flipped his boat. He also mentioned my boat would do just fine.

Part 2: After loading his boat on the trailer, we decided to all get in my brothers boat and go back. Loaded up and headed out. All was fine, catching Bull Reds, then moved catching Spanish Macrel everycast. All of a sudden, the wind got cooler, clouds turned grey, and 2 water spouts (one on each a side of us) I said it's time to go.. Cranked up the motor and nail it, but we are not moving so fast??? ***?? Water at my feet, kick on the bildge, but the bildge is not pumping. Continue to take on more water (water is now at ankles) Holy $hit!! Everyone to the front of the boat, keep motor running. As we get closer and closer to the beach (water at calf level) I realize we will not make it to the channel and this boat is going on the beach. Finnally, boat is crashed on the beach. The storm has grown, rain poors, waves crashing over the motor into the boat.

Part 3: A passer-by on the beach gives me a ride to the launch, where I can retrieve my truck and trailer. As we leave, I can hardly see the boat from a 100 ft away due to the hard rain. (at this point my head is hanging low) I get my truck and drive it back too the beach. The storm has past, the boat is filled to the rim with sand and water. Ok, Now lets get this boat on the trailer and get the "F" outta here!! Dump the trailer and try to pull the boat higher on to the beach (out of the water) Nope!! my truck is not moving this thing at all. Here comes a dooley!! he kindly hooks up to the boat.. Nope!! dooley can't move it either. To try and wrap this up.. After 6 hrs, 2 dooley's, a jacked up Bronco, A Z-71 with a winch (winner!!) about 15 people, we managed to get the boat on the trailer.

Conclusion:
The old pro craft bass boats have a little vent on each side of the boat towards the rear. As the boat was rocking from the sea's, water was entering these vents the entire time we fished.

Bottom line:
Know your boat and have a working bildge pump or you may find yourself looking like a total jackass..