View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 01:20 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

This post is only 7 hours old....... and ya'll have just about said it all.

I got started Deer hunting almost 30 years ago. After killing 5 with a shotgun in the first 2 seasons, I got into Bow hunting to make it more challenging. I also bought a rifle. I shot long bows as a child, but shooting a compound was different. I borrowed a bow for a few months and them bought a second hand bow.

Bows back then were not nearly as good as today's bow and to make it more of a challenge, I shot "fingers" for about 10 years and the bow had a draw length that was ~ 2" too long for me.

After about 5 years I bought a new PSE, and put an overdraw to increase the speed. I took the overdraw off after 2 years.....it was too hard to shoot good groups shooting "fingers".

Then 4 or 5 years later, I decided to "give in" and bought a release. IMO.... shooting a release is like changing from shooting an old "smoke pole" with iron sights to shooting a rifle with a scope.

In the early years, I would practice for an hour or more each night [I had lights set up to see]. Now the practice time is way way down, but the killing is a lot more consistent. I think I have made Public land bow kills in each of the past 4 seasons. Here are a few pictures.

Oh, lighted nockes are way cool to watch the arrow hit the deer. I got some last year.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Doe.. 2-11-08.JPG (130.7 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Pass thru shot.jpg (93.9 KB, 148 views)
File Type: jpg 4 pt. bow 10-14-11.jpg (97.5 KB, 148 views)