Thread: Gumbo Season!
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

What is Gumbo?

A lot of the food we eat is very similar in how it is made and how it tastes. Is Gumbo a type of Soup? Yes. Is it a Stew? Maybe! Is it made with Tomato products? Sometimes! Well, what is the “defining” difference between Gumbo and all the other similar foods? Is it the File that is sometimes but in Gumbo? Maybe! File is a seasoning.... Finely ground up leaves from Sassafras trees. Is this seasoning the “defining” ingredient of a Gumbo....? IMO, No.

I believe there are two ingredient of a Gumbo that distingue it from the other dishes. One is the Roux. The Roux should be a little darker than what is typically put in other similar dishes and it is used make the Gumbo a little thicker or I would consider it a soup. The second ingredient, and the most important IMO, is a Gumbo must contain Okra. Besides the unique flavor of Okra, it also gives body to the Gumbo. I am sure some people may disagree on this and that is ok. I grew up as a child eating Turkey Gumbo made from the leftover Thanksgiving bird. So here is that recipe as I make it now