Thread: Mercury Pro XS
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2012, 09:01 AM
Flounder

Cash: 676
Bounce Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrich74 View Post
How many of y'all are running a Pro XS on an haynie or any other boat? How well do they hold up? And why a Pro XS over a yamaha four stroke.
I have talked to three different mechanics about this and all three work on Yamaha, Suzuki, Mercury, and Evinrude. The opinions of these mechanics is that they all have issues at some point. All of them pointed out that the Etec was the worst as far as breakdowns and in fact one of these mechanics is a dealer that sells all four brands and he did away with the Etec lineup just because of this and unsatisfactory company support.

The 4 stroke lineup from Yamaha and Suzuki are both having some issues and the Yamaha 300 HPDI had major issues (it and the 250 HPDI are no longer in production).

The overwhelming opinion of these three mechanics was that the best engine as far has least amount of shop time is the Mercury Optimax. The jury is still out on the new Mercury 150 4 stroke as it is still fairly new.
As one mechanic mentioned, even though no motor is immuned to problems, the Mercury outboards are by far the cheapest to work on and parts are readily available, and as one guy said you can even buy some of them at Walmart (LOL).

The SHO's seemed to be a good motor with the only major issues being prop shafts snapping but from what I understand this is coming from running oversized props that the prop shaft can't handle. The throwaway powerhead would be a little concerning but I have not heard of any major issues with them so far.

I run a 2007 Yamaha 200 HPDI and have had no issues (knock on wood) but I would not hesitate putting one of the Opti's or and Opti Pro XS on my boat. The only thing I can complain about on the Mercury is the engine noise. Hands down, the Opti Pro XS gets the best fuel economy of any of them, 4 strokes included.

I am not partial to any brand right now and I wanted this info if I was to repower a larger offshore boat. I felt like it was good honest info because these guys service all the different engines.

Hope this info helps your decision making easier.

Gater

Last edited by Gater; 07-21-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: spelling