View Single Post
Old 09-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217
Default I am the dink master!!! 9/17/2009

Launched at Cal. Point around 6 am. Slight West wind. Water temp. was 80 deg. at the surface. Hit the old jetties then the mouth of the old river and fished all the way down to T-Boy McCall's dock. Fished a white Sand Eel with a chartruse tail. Caught a few undersized Reds on the East bank. The grass along the bank is full of them. I was in 14 ft. of water chunking towards the grass. Tide was going out, water was green and could see a little over a foot down. Lots of finger mullet schools here, but no Specks.
Moved to the ship channel below the pogy plant. Fished the West bank all the way to Speckdaddy's hole. There was 2 guys wade fishing his spot. Nothing there but millions of tiny pogy. By this time the winds were starting to pick up. I hit the outside of the East side of the jetties to get out of the wind. Nothing there. Only one boat at the jetties. Hit the Monkey Island Point, nothing. Hit Jsmokes day marker, nothing. The ship channel below the pogy plant was milky green, couldn't see far down at all. The jetties was dirty. I called a couple shrimpers who were between Cameron and Holly Beach, about 1.5 miles out and they said the water was pretty chocolate over there and they were not catching any bait or fish. Just shrimp and jelly fish.
Moved to Long Point around 9 am. I only caught fish pretty far East of the bank. I was outside of a line of crab pots. When I went towards the bank, no fish hit my lures. Changed to the silver and gray sparkley Brown lure with big eyes. That was the trick. Threw back 3 legal dinks and after I caught the 4th, I figured if'n I would have kept the other 3, it would make for a good fried fish supper. I kept the rest of the legal specks in the live well. Only 1 of them was big enough to not measure. Counted out 12 specks. Needed 3 more. I put all of them in on ice and continued fishing.
Got my last 3 and put them in the live well and hit the reef due West of Commissary Point. Caught 4 Sand Trout on a Sparkle Beetle with chartruese tail. Kept them all and went to try Turners Bay. At this point, the winds were too high for me to fish there so I went up into the LNG Canal. Winds were too high there too, so I went back to Cal. Point and cleaned the fish.
I put them in a gallon bag and brought home. My neighbor says that I probably could have used a quart bag.
Anyway, fresh fried fish tonight.
Looks like Long Point or Rabbit Island tomorrow, if I can find clean water.
I saw one boat at the jetties, one boat at Monkey Island and one heading to the jetties. I saw two boats at the old jetties and 4 boats at Long Point. I saw 2 more at the reef west of Heberts and one boat at Turners Bay. Saw 2 more where the ICW hits the ship channel. Not many boats fishing today.
I saw no boat trailers at the jetty boat launch, 2 at the ferry launch and I was the only one at Cal. Point when I launched at 6 am, but there was 5 other trucks and trailers at noon when I pulled out.