View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

A little more information...

When it comes time to sand a finished piece, I use an old broken belt from my belt sander. Just hold it to the wood as it spends in the lathe, but always keep sand paper moving.

I found that the standard tools just would not make the deep cuts that I wanted. A file is made from very hard metal and will hold a very good edge. Making any shape tool is easy using a grind stone in the lathe. The more pointed tools that I made are very good to use when first starting to work on a piece of wood. With the narrow point, it does not take off too much wood at a time.

I also made a tool rest that is a little longer and to sit closer to the wood. Now, I mostly use the lathe to sharpen stuff or grind metal as needed. The table is a mess, but it showes the old Craftman lathe. Don't buy a grinding stone from Harbor Freight....cheap but very poor quality.

I don't have most of the things that I have made, but here are some picture of one of the first things I made. The plant stand was made from a log from a Sycamore tree. I love the wood grain that it has.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tools.JPG (168.4 KB, 598 views)
File Type: jpg Upper part plant stand.JPG (119.5 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg Lower half plant stand.JPG (160.0 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg Plant stand.JPG (83.9 KB, 589 views)
File Type: jpg Lathe.JPG (178.2 KB, 591 views)