View Single Post
Old 09-18-2009, 11:01 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Ray----Thank for the fishing trip today.

The winds were fairly good today [~10 +/-mph] and cloudy most of the day. We left the launch before 6 AM and ran down to the south end and started fishing just as it was starting to get light.

The first 45 minutes only produced one blowup on my topwater and Ray caught a small trout on soft plastic. We moved to where Ray had caught a bunch of rat Reds yesterday and we only had a few bumps with soft plastic.

We then headed to Long Point, where Ray caught some trout yesterday. This area only produce 1 trout for each of us.......so we finally had fish on ice.

We then headed to Grand Bayou and found the water to be pouring out of the marsh. When we got to the weir, it looked like we were the last boat to arrive. Both sides of the weir were filled with boats [amazing...everyone was legal]. We caught some bait, in hopes of catching more fish at Lambert's bayou. When we got to this weir....we were the only boat there on the marsh side. I think Ray caught 1 trout and I caught a Red and Drum using the live bait before we had other boats show up there. While still anchored at the weir, Ray caught another nice Red on soft plastic while casting away from the weir into the area of the old washout.

Two boats there were almost funny to watch what they were doing. One boat with 3 middle age men, could not decide where they wanted to cast net for bait. They kept moving around and went up to the weir twice. The other boat with a guy and 3 ladies, probably set a Lambert bayou record...........anchor throw. The guy threw the anchor 15.3 feet from the boat. Then after deciding they needed to reposition a little, the second anchor throw was only about 10 feet. Not to be out done....when they moved over a little ways the third time, one of the lady successfully made a respectable 9 foot anchor throw.

As far as fish catching....the 3 men only caught a couple of small fish. But the boat with the 3 ladies, after moving 3 times in 45 minutes -----with anchor throws each time----the ladies probably caught 6 or 8 fish and most went in the ice chest.

With all this activity going on, we left to try another spot in the marsh. While fishing along the marsh grass with soft plastic, Ray's bait got caught on something but he was able to pull it towards the boat. When he got the bait more than half way to the boat he finally realized it was a fish on his line and I got the net when we realized it was a big Flounder. A little while later, he caught another flounder almost the same size. Both fish were a little under 4 lbs.

After what seamed like a 100 cast later, I hooked a big Red but It got off after making a short run and pulling drag. A little later I swithed to a secret Flounder catching bait......a small gold spinner bait with a Yellow red dot split tail grub on a 1/4 oz jig. [1 /8 oz may have been better]. I then caught 3 Flounder and Ray picked up nice 29" Red using the same silver and gray sparkley Brown lure with big eyes he had used the day before. This is also the bait he caught the big Flounder on.

After catching my founder, I hooked into another big Red with this small spinner bait. As it was pulling drag, it got off. Knowing this was a small spinner bait, I was thinking it might have broken the bait but instead I found the hook had been straighted.

The final count for the day was 6 flounder, 3 reds, 2 trout, a drum and a croker. I did not really feel like we had a good day for all the effort we put it.......but it was a fun day and many fishing spots and stories were shared with a new fishing partner.

We may make a trip next week to the I-210 area of the Calcasieu river, so Ray can learn more about how to fish this area. Watch out fellows.....If Ray starts catching fish in this area......it is less than 10 minutes from his house.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg All most 4 lb Flounder.jpg (76.3 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 29 in Red 9-18-09.jpg (83.7 KB, 109 views)