View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,580

Response from Mr. Boustany:

Dear Mr. :

Thank you for contacting me to share your views on President Obama's gun control proposals. It is good to hear from you.

Tragedy struck Newtown, Connecticut when a mentally-ill individual turned a weapon, stolen from his mother's home, on twenty children and six faculty members at Sandy Hook Elementary School. As a nation, we mourn the senseless loss of life and all agree steps must be taken to prevent a tragedy of this magnitude in the future.

However, there is vast disagreement on how to address this problem. On January 16th , President Obama announced a package of 23 executive actions and legislative proposals attempting to address the Newtown tragedy. Sadly, the President's proposals largely fall short of addressing the underlying causes of this attack. In South Louisiana, we know guns are merely an avenue for sick people to commit heinous crimes; they are not the root cause. Responsible gun owners are protected under the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution. A tragedy of this magnitude should never be used to impose an anti-gun ideological agenda on law-abiding American citizens.

I sent two letters to the White House making it clear I will oppose any legislation or an Executive Order which prevents law-abiding Americans from responsibly exercising their Second Amendment rights, including any attempt to prevent ownership of certain firearms or ammunition. I also warned the President that he is bound by the Constitution to work with Congress to pursue any legislative remedies – rather than unilaterally act via Executive Order. The American people deserve and the Constitution requires a transparent and open discussion on issues of such national importance.

The President's proposals fail to recognize that simply having access to a firearm does not cause murderous intent or criminal nature. I have always fought hard to protect our Second Amendment rights and am A-rated by the NRA for my legislative record. I will stand firm on this principle and work to ensure law-abiding gun owners in South Louisiana are not punished for the actions of one mentally-ill individual.

Thank you again for contacting me. I encourage you to check in with me on Facebook by clicking here . You can also visit my website at www.boustany.house.gov for the latest on press releases, opinions, pictures, and e-newsletters.

Sincerely,

Charles Boustany,Jr., MD
Member of Congress
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .