View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 05:00 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Wetland mitigation/Carbon Crediks = gooberment scam, no more, no less.
You can destroy an existing wetland area (LAbERGE) if you pay $$$ to someone who has an existing wetland enrolled in the program. How or who is going to develop the millions of acres on the coast owned by Miami Corp, Vermilion Corp, ect. it's never gonna happen but they can sell it in mitigation for someone to build a hotel on a marsh area if the pony up the chedda. How does this promote/protect the wetlands drained for non-beneficial use?
I believe you are missing my point on this. Gooberment intervention into my private property (imement domain) (wetlands mitigation) (carbon crediks) has the effect of driving up the cost of doing business, which is passed along to the populace who pays taxes. I am for sound use of our resources, conservation but not at the expense all the loony laws enacted by the EPA, ect.
The reason you can not do whatever you want on your own property is because it may hav a negative effect on other people. If you try to drain a wetland on your property, you may be flooding your neighbor, or you are affecting the hydrology of a much larger area. It might not seem like a big deal to dam up a little creek in the backyard, but that water has to go somewhere and it just affected that whole watershed. If everyone just went and altered the hydrology on their property, the whole system would be affected dwonstream. Wetlands are extremely important in recharging the water supply particularly with acquifers. I don't agree with all the rules but without some regulatiory agencies like the EPA, someone could just go dump an old gallon of paint in your backyard creek and think its ok, or some big factory can come in and dump all their waste products right into the waterways. We are losing wetlands at an incredible rate. Up north, in the prairie pothole region (the duck factory) there is virgin wet prairie being drained right now in the name of corn production. I understand why they are doing it, but a few years down the road when all that land is producing corn and not ducks, I would bet there is going to be some changes of heart.