Thread: Which 40 hp?
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 703

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf522 View Post
The computer is different on a tldi 40 than a tldi 50. The restrictor helps a little when removed but its not a 50. If you want a 50 then buy one because an ECU is over a grand.
Winner, Winner!!! Which is exactly why they pull the restrictor plate before you leave. Now you have nothing to compare speeds to. Try buying one stock, running it, GPS you're speeds, than take it in and let them pull the restrictor. They might do it, but I doubt it. Take a fools advice from someone who has been down that road. Buy it stock. Tune you're boat. Meaning setup, weight distribution, jack plate, prop, etc. GPS you're speed as you make adjustments. Once you find you're optimum setting, than have at. Hop it up all you want. At least now you can see the HONEST results of what you've done right there on you're GPS. For speed to increase 15% power has to increase almost 50%. I haven't personally looked at the parts diagram between the 40 and 50. I do remember on the 40-D and 50-D tohatsu put out in the mid 90's it was about $1300 in parts to make it a 50. Same block, different carbs, intake, and exhaust. I can believe the electronics are different on today's motor, I would also take a look at the exhaust as well.