View Single Post
Old 06-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 980
Sad Grand Isle State Pak

Letter: Grand Isle park deplorable
June 17, 2013
3 COMMENTS
My husband and I went camping with other relatives and friends at Grand Isle State Park from June 5-10. Never, in all the years that we have been going there, was I so very ashamed to have to tell people from out of state that yes, this actually was a state park. It was in deplorable condition.

First, when you pull in, there is a temporary building in the check-in lane. This means that people who have already checked in must still wait in line to get into the park. According to employees, their actual building was damaged during Hurricane Isaac and has not been repaired yet. Then, the computer the woman was working with literally took 10 minutes to change screens. Since she must go to two or three screens to complete the check-in process, it is no wonder that they can get up to 10 or more people waiting in line to check in.

Second, when we finally get in, it looks like the grass has not been cut in over a month. We were not able to use our picnic table because my husband has a bad back and it was too heavy for us to move and the grass was literally up above the benches. The bushes between our site and our friend’s site, were so full of weeds, including poison ivy, it was ridiculous. Friday morning, someone came by and cut the grass around the outdoor shower but nowhere else!

Third, the garbage was unbelievable. Every garbage can in the park was overflowing, and there was trash all over the ground. The dumpster by the bathhouse had garbage stacked up over 5 feet high.

Fourth, the showers were disgusting. I understand this is a beach and you can expect sand to get everywhere, but there was actually two inches of water all over the floor because evidently the drains are stopped up. We used both shower houses, and they are both in this condition.

Fifth, there is a fishing lagoon with a pier and a place to clean your fish so people do not clean them at their campsite. Well, there are two boards missing from the pier and instead of replacing them, there has been a barrier put up and all electricity cut off so you cannot use the pier or the fish-cleaning station. I guess you could use the fish-cleaning area during the daylight if you use a regular knife, but most people use an electric one.

Finally, after so many complaints, some campers knew someone in the streets department there and contacted that person. That person got the mayor to come out and look at the condition of the park Monday afternoon. Well evidently, someone in the park heard about the visit, because they had someone come out and pick up all the trash. Too little too late.

Unfortunately, you have lost visitors that regularly visited this park and others, just to support our state tourism. Well, I have had it and will not only take my business elsewhere, but tell everyone I know to not bother going to this park.

Carolyn Schexnayder

retired purchaser

Geismar