Thread: rifle scopes
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 05:06 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I've scoped a lot of rifles. I recommend Leupold for most average to serious gun enthusiasts and shooters. Guns I've scoped have taken hundreds of deer and won a number of long range shooting events, often outshooting NightForce and other higher end scopes. The Leupolds on my daughter's guns are often the lowest end scope on the line. The Army sniper types with their NightForce scopes are often surprised when they are out shot by a 14 year old girl.

We've also done a lot of low light hunting over the years. We had nuisance damage control permits for deer and it was legal to shoot them at night. Shooting racoons, foxes, and coyotes at night was also common. The Leupold Vari-X III and later VX-III models with 50 mm objectives were always up to the task and the 40 mm objectives worked well as long as we dodn't turn the magnification up past 6 or 8. You could see more through the scope (in terms of light collection) than you could with the naked eye. "Legal" shooting hours were never a problem. Often, the scope alone extended practical shooting light well past "legal." Other common tricks (bait on a light background, moonlight, etc.) extended shooting hours even more.

We've never had a Leupold fail.