View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
MathGeek, you need to be present at some of these meetings. Even though logic isn't always the best solution(in most political-type cases these days), your ability to speak and present facts, along with the extensive studies you have done would likely go a lot further than "It's my right to keep what I want!"
I'm not much of a public speaker, but given time and google scholar, I can frame a decent scientific viewpoint.

I've corresponded with Jason Adriance in the past, and I could probably put together a decent case that there simply is not much scientific data showing the need to impose such a drastically lower limit on tripletail.

However, I think the bigger danger to LDWF is setting the precedent of managing by public opinion without sound scientific data. If Draconian regulations can be imposed without valid scientific support, then why will the legislature ever bother to spend the extra $$$ for good science to get the data?

W said it well. A decade from now, we'll all be wondering what happened when there are plenty of fish and we're wondering why the limit is 3 specks and one redfish.

If we want fisheries that suck as bad as Texas and Florida, then we should copy their regulations!