Thread: Duck Butter
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
there is a farm in lafayette that raises organic tilapia.... They sell it at the hub city farmers market in the oil center on saturday mornings
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... This is news to me... I wanted to raise some tilapia in a small backyard aquaponics system. I have since decided to go with baby channel cats that i catch out of our local lake. Tilapia are the preferred fish to use because of there extraordinary growth rates as well as being exceedingly sturdy fish that will actually be in growth cycle for the majority of the year here in LA.

I was looking to raise possibly a few hundred at a time, They would have been housed in a system of 5 IBC containers converted to hydroponics use.

The reason i didn't go tilapia is that i was made to understand that it is absolutely illegal to import, sell, raise, breed, multiply or in any way mess with this fish in the state of LA. I even checked with a friend who is a local LDWF agent and he said don't even think about it.

Was told that there is a lot of fear that these fish will get into la waters and wreck havok like they have in some other states waters (i know they are getting pretty bad in some area's of texas)