View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 02:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275
Default Caliber opinions

Gonna be picking up a rifle here in the near future to shoot some myself and as sort of a "start" big boy gun for my son to grow into.

I want a tack driver.... (not so much worried about super long distance but able to split hairs with it out to 250 would be great)

Want a small caliber with pretty minimal recoil... want him to not be so scared of the guns kick that he develops bad shooting habits.

I learned how to shoot a rifle on a .308 as a young boy... it took me a long time to unlearn some of the bad flinching habits that gave me.

Short list right now is;

1) 22-250 (know it's a tack driver.. and know its low recoil etc... little worried that it might not quite be "enough" for a deer)

2) 25-06 Thinking this might be the perfect one.. with lighter bullets you can have the "super high" velocity of the 22-250, but you can load it with heavier bullets as well. good prices on ammo.... not so sure about recoil on it...

3) 243 strong contender here as well... same pro's and con's as the 25-06

4) 257 roberts... super tack driver, lethal on deer, might have a heck of a kick and ammo is $$$$

thought / opinions / etc...

whatever caliber i get it's gonna be a pretty basic setup... black plastic stock etc... prob chrome barrel & action ... thinking something along the lines of a straight 4x scope on it.

Alright you gun experts steer me in the right direction here.