Thread: SD ammo
View Single Post
Old 01-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Speer Gold Dot is a very good bullet. We've tested them in gelatin over a range of velocities.

There are not many bad JHP 9mm bullets in the 115-127 grain weight range. We tested the 127 grain Winchester Ranger SXT a few years ago in Texas while consulting on a case. We went on to test several other Winchester Ranger SXT models.

I'm not a fan of 147 grain JHPs in 9mm. We've noted poor performance in both gelatin and deer. Others have noticed poor terminal performance against human attackers and goats.

We've done a lot of testing that isn't published, but here are a couple of our published reports that include some 9mm results of interest:

http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a576989.pdf

http://cds.cern.ch/record/1016662/files/0702107.pdf

There are some subtle distinctions between what home defense needs to do and what law enforcement ammo needs to do. A significant fraction of law enforcement shooting encounters present the need to penetrate auto glass or other challenging intermediate barriers and still perform well. I expect that penetrating auto glass is a rare requirement for home defense ammunition.

Some folks prefer more frangible ammo for home use hoping to achieve less lethality downrange, but interior walls won't stop many 9mm loads, even the frangible stuff. If possible, I think it is preferable for home residents to select loads with 10" to 14" of penetration in tissue without to much concern for penetrating auto glass and without fantasies of bullets not endangering other residents through interior walls.

Understand basic safe room concepts, consider safe shooting angles beforehand with due consideration to wall penetration, and try and have a plan that minimizes the chance of having to move around a home while armed searching for an intruder. Your odds are overwhelmingly greater if you let the bad guy come to you, especially if he is entering a dark room fully exposed, and the good guys are shooting from behind cover. I kinda like a low shooting position for home defense. Bad guys are not focused on threats from that direction, and bullets travelling upward present less downrange risk.
Excellent points you bring up. How does Hornady Critical Defense rate? And on a side note, with all this said, (and I know I'm a little off course here), I received free Hornady 115 gr XTPs last year with my reloading equipment. How do these stack up against factory SD rounds assuming about the same velocity?