View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 01:25 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
I am assuming that this would be something along the line of the locks on the Panama Canal if it were to happen. That would suck on going offshore.
More than likely not. There have been techniques applied where an underwater barrier of some sort is constructed to reduce saltwater floW. With how busy the ship channel is, a structure like the one up the river would not be very effective at controlling salinity levels. An underwater structure would still allow ship access while reducing salinities because of the fact that salt water is typically lower in the water column.

I remember about a year or two ago hearing about a type of structure that was inflated or something, like a balloon or one of the barriers used in the oil spill (the name escapes me right now). Ships could still pass over it, but it would block much of the salt water.

What's funny about this is there would be plenty of opposition to such a project if it actually comes to fruition, but yet the public already had a chance to comment on these projects. There were quite a few projects that were modified after the comment period too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2