View Single Post
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
I have no good answer to that, its not anything tangible but all mental I guess.

yes I tried braid a long time ago but it just felt like cheating to me, like canned hunting deer tied to a fence.

I just don't feel it sporting to use something advertised as such hard to break line and remove all the suspense of not knowing the outcome of the battle because the line may break on you.

I find the increased risk of mono adds to the suspense and sportiness of fishing so I don't feel like I have any "unfair" advantages over the fish and we are closer equal levels of winning and losing in the battle. that's why I like light tackle fishing rather then winching fish in with braid line and no concerns the line will ever break.

braid is great stuff and I don't want to imply I think there is anything wrong with it but I just don't like using them. that said my experience with it was years ago when spider wire was the next great thing and it was being advertised as the "unbreakable line"

admittedly I never gave it enough of a chance because im sure if I went down to 6 lb braid or something small that does break at something equal to the 14-15 lbs break strength of mono, then I might like it and not be bothered by that feeling like im cheating somehow.

I suppose I do need to stop being so hard headed about it and give braid another try.

with braid what is the "true" breaking strength because the last I knew anything about braid it was a lot stronger then the test ratings they advertised. if I get 12 lb braid will it pop with 13 lbs of weight on it?
So u dont fish braid because its not a challenge but u use 15-20lb mono for specks and reds. Thats hilarious.