View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 09:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I was hosing out kennels the other day that had a female GS in one of the runs. Pretty dog but huge piles of $hit compared to the labs. And STINK, I couldn't train one of the young dogs on the FF table the smell was so bad. But I asked the guy how much smarter they are than labs and he said about 3x as smart. They want to please but will also outfox you quick. I thought that was pretty cool. Would love to watch a seminar one day showcasing their skills.
I found that food makes the CRAP, not the dog. When I run out in the middle of the night not remembering to get my normal food, I stop by the local Walmart and get Pedigree or Purina to last me until I make back to the feed store. Next day, I have a mess!!! I use Diamond Premium and I find it to be a great food, with less waste.

I don't agree on his statement as them being smarter than labs. I am assuming "GS" meant a German Sheperd dog in your earlier post. We are using Belgium Malinois and Dutch Sheperds, and I have seen some pretty dumb ones, just like any breed. Some pups fail, some excel - that simple. I will say that the ones that succeed in our business seem to be the ones that want to please the handler. When you have to carry extra water and have ice delivered to cool your dog down while tracking, that dog is not doing it for him - he's doing it for the handler! I have also seen some great dogs ruined by not having a "alpha" handler and could not be controlled. They will test you and you need to be prepared for them pushing the envelope. At the end of the day, it is all a game to them and they are like teenagers.