Thread: Weirs Closed
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 12:45 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripley View Post
So here the kicker guys I by all means support the ship channel for economic reasons we GOT to have it. So let's here what is the solution I especially would like to hear from the guys who support the weirs.
You've got to have some kind of salinity control. Like MG has said, the weirs are one level of control. There is a proposal to install some sort of saltwater barrier at Calcasieu Pass. MG likes the idea of rocks along the length of the channel. Both would work, both face considerable hurdles before they could happen.

You have to have something there to protect that marsh. If you don't, its gone. Multiple levels of salinity control will be the only way to protect the marsh and allow for public uses such as fishing and crabbing to be minimally effected by weir operations.

One thing that no one seems to have considered is why the entire ship channel was not rocked instead of the weirs being installed. Maybe there is a reason they decided on this complex levee and weir system instead of the simple move of rocking the entire channel. I would be curious to know that myself.