Thread: Weirs Closed
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 11:38 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

J, I don't know what to tell you man. I'll ask you the same questions I asked W (which I got no answer to btw). Do you know the difference between oystergrass and wiregrass? Or between wiregrass and jamaican sawgrass? I'm not trying to be a smartass, just trying to make a point. The vegetation composition was different historically from what it is now.

Yeah, short term spikes happen, and its not going to kill the grass. That isn't the purpose of the weirs. The weirs were put in to decrease or hold in check a long term increase in salinity. It is the long term increase in salinity that is detrimental to a marsh, not the short term.

As far as hogs go, yeah, you're right, they are tearing up the marsh. What does that have to do with the weirs though?

I've said it before, I've got plenty of reports and papers on the marsh, and there are plenty more to be found online. It's just a matter of who wants to read them.

It is clear I can't say anything that is going to change your opinion. I don't know what I said to make you think I'm belittling you, because I'm not. I've also never said I was an authority on the issue either; that is the assumption everyone jumps to. I'm just speaking from my experiences and research.

But for God's sake, can anyone on here tell me the difference between oystergrass, wiregrass, and jamaican sawgrass?