Thread: Dog trainers??
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Here's some advice that's worth what I'll charge you for it: try word of mouth first. Whoever numerous people recommend you to, go check em out. Go watch a day of training with them. Ask questions and be up front with concerns and GOALS. Notice I used the term GOALS instead of EXPECTATIONS. When dealing with a living, breathing, free-thinking animal, expectations can quickly turn into disappointments. Don't set a timeline, "I'm gonna send him to you til November and I want him to run cold blinds by then". Tell him what you want; just an obedient pet, a polished gun dog, a dog to play the Hunt Test game with, or a competitive Field Trial dog. Watch the dogs he takes out of the truck/trailer for the day. Are their tails wagging, or tucked between their legs? Do they enjoy their work, or dread coming out of that box? Every pro will probably have 1 or 2 dogs that are pigs, but a truck/trailer full of them should raise concerns. Don't be alarmed when they give the dog a harsh correction, be more concerned with how the dog handled the pressure and did it figure out how to work through it and succeed in its task. That will tell you everything u want to know about that trainer. And lastly, try not to worry about the price. It will cost a small fortune, so prepare yourself.

Thanks man that's helpful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm