Thread: The Beach
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2014, 08:38 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Fisherman View Post
Is anyone doing anything on Holly Beach, or any beaches in Cameron Parish? The campervan is getting fixed, and I'm itching to get back out and grab some beach bulls. I was in Galveston on a kids field trip a couple of weeks back, and there was literally, five feet of seaweed on the beach, and I'm not close enough to check and see if that has subsided.

Two more questions. First, what is the largest size red you'd still keep to eat? And, is there any sort of way to avoid the big reds on the beach, and focus on the eating size? I doubt that's possible, but figures I'd ask. Thanks for any help!
Stay tuned for reports, Duckman and I will be hitting it over the next couple of weeks.

If we don't have a limit yet, we keep the bull red, including several between 45 and 48".

The beach is a bull red deal most of the year with some rat reds occasionally in the mix. The beach is probably the wrong place to target rat reds most days. Some of the guys who target trout at the beach may be able to advise you better, but targeting bull reds (crab or mullet on the bottom) yields mostly bull reds.