View Single Post
  #28  
Old 06-21-2014, 04:50 PM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,648
Cash: 4,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB1991 View Post
This is new to me. So your piece of wood with string, do you just hold the wood and wait or what? I've never been crabbing before. How long do you usually have to leave you line in the water before checking it? How deep of water?
The wood is only used to store the lines that I use.

I unwind the string, tie off the end, put bait on the shower hook and toss it out. String is long enough to have the bait 5' to 10' away from my boat. The water is usually 4' to 8' deep.

Like last poster said....... how long you leave it down, depends on how long it takes for the crabs to find the bait. One time, I put out one line and started getting a second line ready. I checked the first line after about a minute and caught a couple crabs. I put out the second line and then caught more crabs on the first line.

After about 30 minutes, I had been going back and forth between the 2 lines so fast, I did not have time to put out a 3 rd line.

I usually put out 4 or 5 line when crabbing from my boat.
Reply With Quote