View Single Post
Old 08-08-2014, 03:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
thanks, that's great news, at least using it as primer will not go to waste.

the bathroom I painted was over around 6 or 7 coats of other paints so I think I avoided the moisture passing through it issue. because of its dull finish it doesnt show surface moisture or let it drip or run (nobody ever turn on the damn vent in there but me ) so that's why I thought it was great. glad to learn flat paint is not a sealer so I should NOT do that for bathrooms and other wet areas like kitchens and laundry rooms.

can you tell me the best applications for gloss vs semi gloss?

im trying to understand how to choose the best overall finish to use all throughout the house for durability, cleanup, and long lasting?

also, did I make a mistake using flat for the exterior of the house? its all exterior treated T1-11 plywood so should I go over all of it with spraying on a clear sealer and if so what would you suggest?

The acrylic will do ok on the T1-11. After a few years of normal wear it will begin to take on that "stain" look...which a lot of people like. No need for any sealer cause I don't think you'd want any sheen.

Semi-gloss vs gloss..........

Gloss finishes kinda come and go as far as popularity. Contrary to what you might have heard...it is no more durable than semi or even satin. In fact, as far as staying put on a properly prepared surface...the flat acrylic will outlast them all. It's just not stain resistant. Satin is a subtle sheen that will suffice in any home. The secret is to put an adequate amount of paint...usually 2 even coats. It's tough as nails and doesn't tend to show every flaw in the sheetrock or trim.