View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 07:11 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,750
Default Alum. Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsm9437 View Post
Ok....tapping into the market on this and wanted some feed back.

I want a custom made aluminum bay boat. Either 21' or 22'.

It doesn't have to be flashy, I just want it to be a tank, good ride, dry (alot to ask for). Obviously would need to be "double hulled" so the water that comes in runs out the back, and not into the bilge area.

I would want something with a good V, but with a front and back deck and a trolling motor.

The areas I fish would be the big lake area, and outside of vermilion bay.

Trim tabs is a must.

The reason I am looking at aluminum is: once the purchase is made it's a life time boat. repower/reqire/repaint(if need be) the thing in 15 years and you've got a brand new boat.
Would like to still be able to go to weirs in the rockefeller/rolloever area. where a typical fiberglass boat would get scratched and chipped.

Not to sure on how necessary paint is on it. outside or in? The reason I would want to paint the inside would be to keep the surface cool to the touch.

I know finding these boats used is a a needle in the haystack and when you do stumble across them you better have your money ready and pick it up quick(they don't last long on the market).

would want it to be powered by a yamaha, 150-200ish? not too sure, but I don't need it to be lightening fast.

What kind of dough are you looking at for something to be built like this? Recommendations of fabricators is appreciated.
Would like to hear your opinion on my mindset and if I am thinking about this all wrong and should consider fiberglass?
I fished out a custom built for 22 years then i started having bad corrosion problems with it where it would get blisters and then you could punch holes through it with an ice pick. no aluminum boat made for lifetime.Some builders do great jobs building them such as american alum. and others like Gravois and Hanko.