View Single Post
Old 08-18-2014, 07:35 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clampy View Post
Had some friends in from Junction Texas along with some friends from lafayette we left Moran's around 2pm Friday afternoon. Greeted with slick calm conditions and green water out of the pass. We dropped the hammer on the big 300 yammys and headed south.
Made bait pretty quickly and made a drop in 350' and caught a nice AJ and a big snapper.
Headed south to Medusa and when we got to the up current side of the rig we saw yellows and blacks jumping out the water. Threw poppers till dark with a few exciting blow ups and hook ups but pulled hooks on them.
Ended up catching a few small ones on diamond jigs. About 10 pm we headed to the mersk developer and we're pretty shocked to see a 25' bay boat out there but I guess it isn't that far from Venice.

The tuna were busting flying fish and out came the poppers and it was on.
20 nice blacks and I caught a nice yellow on top that thought it was a marlin. He jumped 3 times and did some tail walking.
I pulled hooks after a long fight with a yellow in the 70-80 lb range also.
Wind picked up pretty good out the west and cut the trip short and we headed in around 2pm. Long rough ride back but it was worth it.
Single engine? Its about 65-75 miles from venice 1 way. Im all about going offshore in my bay boat, but an overnighter to the floaters is a little much for me