View Single Post
Old 03-19-2015, 01:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
That the biologists/scientists that actually track and maintain the data for the weir system have no control if it is open or closed. They just submit the info to a panel of people that then make the decision. And it just so happens that that panel has a vast interest in that marsh behind the weirs staying as fresh as possible.

I'm not saying the weirs should be open or closed more or less frequently, I am saying that it should be regulated by scientific data and analysis related to coastal erosion and aquatic habitat, not by a group of hillbilly landowners who favor a certain decision for a biased reason.
Let's not get on to this topic again. It has been knocked around enough. Plenty of information already floats around this forum on this topic. No use having another thread degrade into that.

All I will say is that there has been a lot of research on that Marsh, and there are certain people that know what needs to be done. Are those people the ones making the call? Not necessarily.

But again, CCA has nothing to do with that. It is an issue that fishermen have, and CCA does not get into it. Why? I don't know. You would think if fisherman have legitimate concerns about the operation of the weirs, an organization that is composed of fishermen would do something.

The thing is, the CCA is not a Fisherman's organization. It is a conservation organization composed of fisherman. A conservation organization who is supposed to be concerned about a particular resource, in this case, our coast and our fisheries. Their actions state otherwise.

Shouldn't a major concern of a fisheries organization, or any conservation organization, be the habitat of its representative species? DUs is, The N W T F's is. CCAs is not, or else they would be more concerned with the marshes that also constitute the estuary.

The fact is, CCA is a conservation organization that does not concern itself with two foci central to any legitimate conservation organization: scientifically-driven management decisions and habitat.