View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 07:21 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Crawfish fields are fine for teal season. But the big ducks will not stay in the deep water. And also like mentioned above the pop guns. U can ride through miles of crawfish fields during the season and not see the first duck or goose. Personally I really don't care all that much for crawfish. Give me shrimp and crabs. Duck hunting is my passion and has been for many years. I just hate to see what crawfishing is doing to it. Nothing against the farmers wanting to make money. But what is sickening is a farmer crawfishing a piece of property then trying to lease blind for 5-10k per blind when it's not worth 2k.
I would argue that its not crawfish is not the reason you don't see birds like you used to. Hunting pressure being the biggest culprit and also there are just more people in general. Subdivisions popping up like mushrooms in the middle of nowhere. If you wan't to see ducks look in the marsh. I'm not talking about the stuff thats easy to get to, there's too much pressure there as well. I saw more ducks in the middle of Vermilion Bay this winter than I have in the last 5 years combined. Hunting may be your passion but when your running 1000 crawfish cages for 10 sacks you will do what it takes to feed your family. And that farmer is trying to lease that blind for 10k, he's getting it because people are willing to pay it.