View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 05:50 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickt87 View Post
So it's a money thing? Goes to show why so many people probably didn't give a **** to vote. They know their seasoned, dedicated waterfowlers opinion ain't worth the post card the survey was mailed on. And as for new hunters in the state for the year. I've asked that question multiple times but it was some story about the last survey was done with Katrina numbers so we can't judge off that. I highly doubt the waterfowl industry is hurting for newcomers or retention. Go check out a public launch at 4am on a Saturday morning in December, do your surveys there. PLENTY of folk their to ask, and plenty of them aren't seasoned or know a mallard from a teal, right up surveyors alley!
If you know someone isn't going to quit, regardless of what happens, and that person is also in the minority, would you base your regulations solely on that person? I don't believe so. You are going to find a medium between the seasoned, dedicated guys and the new hunters that you are trying to keep around.

Those seasoned, dedicated guys that y'all are moaning about aren't going to be around forever. If you just cater to them, you aren't going to have any other hunters. I know some of those older guys that, if given the chance, would have the season go to 30/3 again to try and clean out the new "duck dynasty" hunters and the high roller types that are leasing up every piece of land. What good does that do for the future of our sport? Maybe instead of complaining about those young guys, they should try and teach them the right way to do it.

I got the survey by mail, and I gladly answered every question. Saw it posted on several boards, INCLUDING THIS ONE. Hell, he made 4 posts on it.....one when it was released, one when there was a week left, one when they extended the survey answer period, and this one.

Sorry, Nick, but Larry put out plenty of reminders on this one. I think he's doing the best he can with what he's got. Its a survey, he can't pick and choose who he sends it to.

And how do you know who is dedicated and who is a one-timer? I guarantee you I'm more dedicated to waterfowling than a lot of duck hunters I know, but my survey probably showed the same number of days hunted as them because I didn't have the time last year to hunt as much as I would have liked. Doesn't mean I'm not dedicated to waterfowling. So I agree with Larry's stance on how they view the survey, because you can't base dedication solely on numbers.

One hunter is one hunter, doesn't make a difference how seasoned they are. And dedication doesn't mean they know best how to manage something either. Everyone has an opinion on management......doesn't mean they'd know what to do if given the opportunity.