View Single Post
Old 07-02-2015, 01:37 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
We gave up on braid to mono knots a few years back after trying a number of things and having them fail to often. We tie in a swivel now. Two uni knots tied to a swivel is much more reliable than the braid to mono attempts.
I haven't tried it with braid to mono, only with fluoro. It's ideal for having longer (3'+) leaders. It's a long skinny knot that doesn't get beat up as bad going through the rod eyes. I think that's why it was designed, to use when a barrel swivel can't be used. Were your knots actually breaking, or would the knot start to slip? I've tried the Alberto with fluoro to fluoro just to keep from having to re-spool and the knot wouldn't catch and would pull out. Might just be the slickness of the lines not allowing the knot to bind down correctly. A good practice (if using new braid) is to grab the section of braid before tying, and pull down the length of it a few times to get the slick coating off of it (again, helping it bind down with less slip). I think that even the slightest slip of your knot can significantly reduce the strength of your leader material. Just a thought.