View Single Post
  #53  
Old 07-20-2015, 01:48 AM
Renegade Renegade is offline
Redfish
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 132
Cash: 723
Default

My mother beat us with switches all the time. They hurt temporarily, but it didn't last long. You didn't want to get it from my father though. He had a leather belt that hung on the door knob of his bedroom. A constant reminder to stay in line or face a beating that made you think you were literally going to die.

He only got me twice. Mother was in the store shopping. My father, brother and I were in the car waiting. My brother was a little troublemaker. Hauls off and punches me in the shoulder for no reason. So I hit him back. He hits me again. I hit him back. This goes on for a while and my father announces that he's going to beat both of us when we get home because you don't fight family. He ends up beating me and lets my brother go because I "was the oldest and should have known better".

The second time, my parents went somewhere and left me, the oldest, in charge. Told us all to stay inside the house, do our chores, etc. As soon as my parents got out of sight, my little bad *** brother dashes out the door. Riding his bike, playing, having a good old time. I never step one foot outside. I tell my brother repeatedly to come inside because he knows our parents told us to stay inside. My brother is riding his bike in the street and, sure enough, here comes our parents driving up. My father got out of the truck and it seemed like all of the 6' 4" Marine Corps Drill Instructor came out of him. I literally thought I was going to pass out and die from that beating. What was so confusing to me at the time was I had OBEYED. I had done what they told me to do, but little bad *** .... Nope. I was the oldest, I was in charge and, according to him, I was supposed to do whatever I had to do to make sure the orders I was given were followed. I was responsible for what happened on my watch.

I was bitter at my father for a long time after that. Many years. But, I learned valuable lessons. To this day, we don't fight family members. And ... If i'm in charge of anything, I'm going to see it through and I know I'm responsible for the results no matter what. I believe those lessons helped me to be the man I am today and I'm grateful for them. Along with the many other lessons he taught me without beating me half to death.
Reply With Quote